Android basics: How to install an APK
To start off with you need to get a program for your Android phone, either an APK installer or a file explorer program. Both kinds are available free from the Android market.
Personally I use ES File Explorer when installing APK’s. As I also have use of it browsing the SD card and checking output from my apps.
The installation steps
Here’s the steps you need to follow to install an APK on your Android phone
1. Press Menu and enter the Settings
2. Press Applications (see picture above)
3. Enable installation of non-market applications (see picture above)
4. Exit the Settings
5. If you haven’t got the APK file on your SD card already, then connect the phone to your computer, set the it to disc mode and copy the APK to your phone
6. Start your selected file explorer(like ES Explorer for example), find the APK file on the SD card and tap it, that will install it on your phone.
6. If you choose to download an APK installer instead, then open it and browse to your APK file and choose to install it.
Now you should be all done, and able to see the installed application together with your other apps under All programs.