The US smartphone statistics from Nov 2010 to Jan 2011 visualized

The Nielsen company have released new statistics for the US smartphone market measured between Nov 2010 to Jan 2011, and dressed it up in pretty colors. (Click the picture to the right to expand the smartphone by OS and manufacturer graph)US Smartphone Statistics ordered by OS size and producer

These new smartphone statistics are very interesting because:

1. They are from the US – the largest smartphone market in the world, and it has a huge impact on device statistics.

2. They are also from the first time period that the impact of Microsoft’s new smartphone OS, Windows Phone 7, can be reliably measured.

Smartphone market share by OS and manufacturer

According to these statistics Windows Phone 7 sold constituted of about 7% of all devices as Windows Mobile was believed to have about 2-3% of that total 10% slice for Microsoft. Which isn’t to shoddy at all, and truthfully I personally expected it to be closer to 4%. The statistics shows HTC by far being the most prominent device manufacturer to get smartphones in to the customers hands.

The graph also shows Android with 29% of market share just passing Apple and RIM with 27% respectively. But it’s also easy to realize that Apple and RIM are still pulling in  lot of money from the US market, as they are the sole device manufacturers and still have very considerable market share.

As for the other contenders in the smartphone business it’s evident that HTC is still doing well, raking in top spot for Android devices with 12% of sold units and 7% of all sold Windows Phone 7 units.

Samsung coming in at a third spot combining their WP7 and Android device sales at 7%, but Motorola edging their way ahead to second spot with 11%.
Smartphone statistics over age and OS

Smartphone market share by age

Nielsen also provided statistics over sold devices by OS and age category.

The spread seem pretty even, maybe Android has taken off a tad better with the younger but overall no real surprises in this graph.


US Smartphone Statistics Nov 2010 – Jan 2011
Tagged on:                             

5 thoughts on “US Smartphone Statistics Nov 2010 – Jan 2011

  • March 17, 2011 at 02:08

    It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in the next three months with Windows Phone 7 in the statistics.
    Is it already about to fail, or will we see Microsoft taking additional percentages in the charts?

    J V

    • April 10, 2011 at 23:55

      Hard to say. My guess is a slow rise but with no real change the next two quarters.

      I’m expecting the Windows Phone Mango patch to change stuff around in the fall. With proper multi tasking – and I bet a few new devices being released then, they should start budging the sales statistics.

  • April 8, 2011 at 19:31

    I suspect that reason that the lower ages are more prevalent in the statistics for Android is that there are more cheap Android devices available.

    Just my 2c.

    • April 16, 2011 at 13:35

      I agree, that’s probably part of the equation. But it’s no denying the Android platform is huge right now and it’s a great eco system so why not.

  • Pingback: SmartOnline, Inc | Looking back at 2011: The Year of Mobile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.